Friday, June 25, 2010

A Healthy Appreciation

During our time of wanting kids, I've seen a lot of my friends/family also start their families. (Most of my friends got pregnant on their first try too, if they were even trying.) It's been really interesting for me to see them during pregnancy and then as they become parents. Watching them, is helping me prepare to be a mom. I hope I'm a good mom!

I've seen pregnant friends enjoy every minute, even the rough times, knowing that they have a baby inside of them. I've seen other women go through pregnancy complaining about everything along the way. I know that pregnancy can be really hard. I went through the first trimester and honestly it was hard for me: throwing up, constantly nauseous, barely able to eat anything, watching my body change (although some of that was good lol), etc. But I assumed that meant my baby was healthy and growing inside of me. I knew that time would pass and in the end all that mattered was a healthy baby. I can't WAIT until the day I'm experiencing that again.

I've also watched my friends/family become parents. Some people make it seem like it's so hard it's a burden, while others make it seem like a joy. I love my sister in law. She's a great mom. In fact, she's the one that got me all excited to be a mom. I know it's a lot of work for her; she doesn't hide that. But you can just see how much she loves her kids and being a mom. She may be tired, but I don't think I've ever heard her complain about parenthood.

I don't want it to come across that parents aren't allowed to be honest about what they're going through. I know being pregnant can be hard and I know parenting is a lot of work. Even though I absolutely love being around kids, like my niece and nephew, I'm always exhausted afterward. lol But there's a difference to me between venting your day and just complaining.

I feel like so many of us have said, because of our journey, we're going to be so appreciative of our pregnancy and of our kids. Do we say now that we'll be different but as soon as that baby pops out will we just start complaining about how hard it is? How will we get through the rough times without making it seem like parenthood is a burden? What can we do to help remind ourselves of where we've come from and how appreciative we are of those babies?

4 comments:

Michelle said...

This is very sweet and honest. We all know a pregnant woman who can't find a positive thing to say and people who just should not be parents.. it's very hard to see. But you are right, we will all be very grateful & appreciate parents. We may have hard times just like anyone else but our past will get us through as better people & parents.

Heidi said...

Thank you for being honest. It is hard for those of us that struggle to hear them complain because all we want is to have sore boobs, morning sickness, stretch marks, weight gain and the pain of birth. It will happen for all of us someday and hopefully someday soon! For me how I plan to remind myself of my past and where i came from is with a small tattoo. After 5 years we finally got pg through ivf and lost it early. I want something that only my husband and I know what it means and everytime I see it I will remember where I came from and where I am going.

Mrs. Green said...

I love this post! Its so positive and awesome! I am praying for u to conceive soon... Good luck my dear!

TexasBobbi said...

It is hard and I am going to be honest I complained during my pregnancy with Ian. I was sick the whole time and stressed my MIL passed away. So I complained more then I should have.

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com